Iona Parish Church

Stacks Image 37
Iona’s Parish Church was built after an Act of Parliament in 1823 identified a need for “additional places of worship in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland”. £50,000 of public money was provided to build not more than 40 new churches with relative manses, but none was to cost more than £1,500. Iona’s Church was built in 1828 by William Thomson, to a design by James Smith of Inverness, approved by Thomas Telford. The Church and Manse cost a total of £1503 4s. The original pulpit, with panelled sides and a sounding board, was set against the East wall, but was removed in 1939 and is now preserved in the Highland Folk Museum, Kingussie. The interior was re-oriented at this time so that the congregation now faces South.

Visit the church website here.